Thursday, March 18, 2010

I Used to Want a Kindle

I used to want a Kindle....but I don't anymore.

Oh, I loved the idea of getting my books I so love to read delivered to me electronically and often at a cheaper price than even Costco's paperback prices. But I hesitated due to the price of the Kindles.

And then the announcement of Apple's IPad came out and it is obvious that the IPad will far surpass the Kindle very quickly since with the IPad you can get so much more functionality for not too much more money.

I have friends with Kindles and they love them. In two families I know, everyone in the family has their own Kindle. They share an Amazon account so they can all access the Kindle books that any one of them purchases. Sounds awesome.

I looked seriously into purchasing a Kindle but hesitated. Soooo glad I did. I love the look and functionality of the up-and-coming IPad but will probably not purchase one this year. Maybe next year when the next generation is released.

While some families are Kindle families, we are an IPhone family. I'm on my second IPhone and my husband is getting ready to get his second one. I bought my first one in Sept '07 and then upgraded to the new 32Gb 3GS a few months ago. Hubby got his 2G model in Feb '08 and is now able to upgrade to a new one anytime. He's waiting until this summer to see what their next release is like as it is rumored the 4G model will be quite a nice upgrade.

We LOVE our IPhones. Best phones we've ever had. I use mine all day long for both business and personal uses. I text with friends and clients, take pictures, share on Facebook, schedule my personal and business life, play games, and use business apps. I even have a few hypnosis apps that help me relax and get to sleep after a particularly stressful day. The only thing I didn't do on my IPhone is read books. The full books available for the IPhone via the App Store are just too expensive and the list is very short.

Then Amazon released their FREE Kindle app. The app turns my IPhone into a Kindle and it's FREE! So I installed the app and bought my first Kindle book to try it out and see if I liked reading a full novel on my IPhone.

Yep. Loved it. Worked perfectly. And I love having the current book(s) I'm reading with me wherever I go. Whenever I can grab a few minutes, I start up the app and continue reading where I left off last time.

So, no Kindle for me. The free Kindle App for IPhone is all I need.

~kate

No comments: