Saturday, January 29, 2011

Reading the Presidents

So I'm a big reader.  And I've switched to only Kindle books.  I always read 4 or 5 books at the same time so switching to the e-book format is so much better for me as now everywhere I go, I already have all my books with me.

I love memoirs but also have some fiction writers who are favorites of mine.  So I'm usually reading one memoir, one non-fiction and two or three fiction books at the same time.

One of the books I am reading right now is Decision Points by George W. Bush.  I'm taking my time reading it as I am absorbing it.  It is an absolutely FABULOUS book.  I recommend for everyone to read it, no matter what your political views are.  I guarantee that the chapter about 9/11 where he takes you through it from his perspective is something I will re-read at least once a year.

Since reading this book, I've decided to make it a personal goal of mine to read a book either by or about every one of our presidents.  Yes, even the current one...  I don't plan to do it in any particular order but will probably do it in a close chronological order.

I've recently started on Washington with The Life of George Washington by John Marshall.  The $.89 Kindle price is awesome!

So do any of you want to join me in this path?  I would love to have some people to come along with me to discuss the books with....

~kate

3 comments:

Four for France said...

I LOVE the idea, though since I do not yet have a Kindle, getting books in France has a few challenges. Still, please keep me posted on what you are reading.

Four for France said...

I happened upon a copy of Decision Points, just finished it and LOVED it. Have you started another President? I'd love to know who you are reading now.

Kate said...

Wasn't his book just wonderful? I spent a lot of time thanking God that we had him in the White House when 9/11 hit and praying for President Bush and his family.

The media really did crucify him and what became so evident to me in his story was how truly humble he is and he has a very good and personal relationship with Jesus.

As for what I am reading now... well I have to admit that I have been drawn to fiction right now. I think it's because it's Tax Season for me and my brain is so tired at the end of the day that I look for an escape. I am re-reading all of the Scarpetta series from Patricia Cornwell and am currently on book 11.

I am also reading a medical thriller from Robin Cook (Critical) and I am (finally!) reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

Yes, I am always reading 3 or more books at the same time. Think I might have a touch of ADD? :)

And I do need to update my blog sidebar with what my current reads are... will do that shortly.

As for the next President book that I read, well, I tried a few books on George Washington but so far have not found one that tells his story in a manner that I like. I've heard good things about Sacred Fire but if I'm reading it correctly, that book is more of an analysis of his religious views and not a true biography of the man.

We are watching the John Adams miniseries from HBO on Netflix right now and I think my next President book will be that book that the miniseries was based on..."John Adams" by David McCullough.

~C