Saturday, April 24, 2010

Censorship and a Death Wish

I have many friends on Facebook (currently 447).  Some lean left, some lean right, some stay in the middle and some don't give a damn either way.  Recently I've seen some of my friends join a certain Group and Fan Page on Facebook.  Generally, it's the Left-leaners joining the Group and the Right-leaners joining the Fan Page.  I refuse to join either one.

The Fan Page in question is this one:

DEAR LORD, THIS YEAR YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTOR, PATRICK SWAYZIE. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTRESS, FARAH FAWCETT. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE SINGER, MICHAEL JACKSON. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW, MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT IS BARACK OBAMA. AMEN


I see this page as a wish for Obama's death.  Ok, now I admit that I don't like the guy and I think he is an extreme danger to the US but like it or not, he's our President.  I'm a Christian and it is not within my values to wish someone dead.  Yes, perhaps I'm taking the meaning behind this page a bit too literally but I just will not agree to "Like" something like this.

The Group in question is this one:

Petition to remove Facebook group praying for President Obama's death


I don't know what specific "group" this Group is referring to but either way I don't agree with it.  This is censorship and that's a dangerous slope to start down.  Whatever "group" this group is referring to that is praying for Obama's death... well I wouldn't join that group as it is against my values (see previous bit about the Fan Page above) but this is still a free country and it is their right to put up such a group if they wish to.  And it is my right to choose not to join it.

Facebook is a private company so should they choose to act on this "petition" and do remove the other "group" that is referenced, that is their right to do so.  But I would still consider it censorship and I am not in agreement with that.

Our country is very divided right now and I will not take part in any action that is praying for or wishing for Obama's death.  Nor will I take part in any action that is condoning censorship, on either side of the aisle.

~kate
not violent. not racist. just no longer silent.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I find the first really offensive because it is in fact titled a letter to God about implicitly WISHING that "god" would take somebody's life.

The second I find less offensive because it's generally a group of people who are rightly concerned that there may indeed be people out there praying for the death of somebody -- by joining the group, you're saying that you object to that kind of "prayer".

I of course wouldn't touch the first group, and as you know, joined the second.

I see them as very different...